photo images_zpsbde752ba.jpg photo images_zps62e819c2.jpg photo images2_zps8dce0743.jpg

Friday, June 13, 2014

Week 1: Chapel Grace and La Semilla

Before the week started, we celebrated Hannah's birthday at Las Cañadas! It was a blast! We dominated a canopy tour that consisted of 5 zip lines and 5 walking bridges. Later that day we had a bonfire on the beach, where Rob, another intern, gave us our own little private concert with his original music.  

Sunday, Chapel Grace from Coalinga, California came as our first group of the summer! Upon meeting them, I already knew God was with us and He was going to do amazing things with this group. 
In the mornings we did various construction projects around the camp. The one I helped with was building the ramp in the picture. The men from the group and some AV staff taught me to mix and pour concrete and how to use other tools. I almost feel as if I learned more in this past week than I did all of last semester I'm school. 
In the afternoons, most of us went to a community an hour away from camp and did a VBS at a church called La Semilla (or The Seed). What is interesting about this church is that they are a church plant of the church I attend in town called Vino Nuevo (or New Wine). The church is centered in a community of migrant workers, which are indigenous peoples who come into towns during the harvest season for work. The people of this community are from the state of Oaxaca. They are beautiful, sweet, and hard working people. The children that came to the VBS were anywhere from 7 months to about 12 years old. We themed the VBS around love, and it couldn't have been more appropriate. From the time we got out of our cars on the first day to the last day as we were driving away, those children received and gave love like I have never seen. 

As I focused in on what God was trying to reach me this week, I didn't truly understand until this morning in staff devotions. We have began to study 1 John and God grabbed my attention with the first verse. It reads:
"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life."
He reminded me how tangible the Gospel is. It's not just a story. It's the way I live my life. It's my motivation behind how I love, do work, and communicate. My prayer is that He continues to remind of this and I can love, work, and communicate better in order to bring Him glory. 

Prayer Requests:
-For next week's group, Open Door.
-For energy, we are building a new church building next week!!
-The church we are working with here, Vista Hermosa. 
-The community where this church is located, Colony 89. It is one of the poorer parts of Ensenadsa. Pray we make a positive impact on those we encounter and that they would see Jesus in us. 
Blessings, 
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment