photo images_zpsbde752ba.jpg photo images_zps62e819c2.jpg photo images2_zps8dce0743.jpg

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Praying More Purposefully {Recap}

I now have the perfect prayer life! NOT. This month I had challenged myself to intentionally focus on prayer and what it means in my relationship with God.  I can pretty much sum up this month with one verse.


In my mind I already had planned out that I was going to be praying with people everyday and when I heard a prayer request I was going to stop whatever I was doing and pray right there. Well, God had different plans.
Prayer is widely talked about throughout the Bible, but God kept turning me back to a certain passage even though I have heard it a dozen times. In Matthew, chapter 6, verses 5-8, God’s Word says this:
5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”

         The Lord took hold of my heart and showed me my selfishness. I was trying to make sure everyone could see I was a “good Christian” before I examined my own heart. One night as I was reading these verses, for what felt like the 500th time, God revealed to me what He had been wanting me to see for a long time. I needed to talk to Him. I needed Him to pray purposefully to Him instead of for others to see. I needed to be quiet, be alone, and listen. 
I am so thankful for my God who shows me my flaws and gives me the wisdom to fix them.



No comments:

Post a Comment