photo images_zpsbde752ba.jpg photo images_zps62e819c2.jpg photo images2_zps8dce0743.jpg

Friday, June 20, 2014

Week 2: Open Door and Vista Hermosa

Where to even start with this week. On Sunday we met 41 fresh faces from Open Door, which is a church in Mountain View, CA, aka the city where Google is. They were all so enthusiastic about the week and all it entailed. I knew, just as last week, God was going to do big things.

We worked with a church called Vista Hermosa (or Beautiful View) in the Colony 89 community. This community began in 1989 and since then has spread like wildfire. It also has the reputation for being one of the poorer communities of Ensenada. Vista Hermosa's name must have been given because of the view they have from their backdoor.  It is breathtaking. I'm sorry that the picture below doesn't do it justice.
Our ministry for the week was to build them a new sanctuary and put on a VBS and Womens' events in the afternoon. My job was construction all day long, but I was told both afternoon activities thrived and God was present! This week I got to watch a concrete slab be transformed into a place that believers will raise their hands to Our Father in prais. As each wall was raised I felt so much excitement for what God had called us to do and what He was doing in each of our hearts.

My task most of the week was to head the painting crew and get boards primed and painting as quickly as possible. I wish someone could have captured my face as I saw the color of the church was going to be. As soon as I saw it my heart flooded with happiness and Tennessee pride. It slowly faded, though,for when I shouted "GBO," no one had any idea what I was talking about.

With each stroke, I thought about all the men, women, and children who would enter this building to praise our Father. To worship our King. To surrender their lives to follow Jesus. Then my sinful nature sat in.

Orange. Tennessee. Home. My bed. My family. Food other than tortillas, rice, and beans. The ability to flush my toilet paper. I missed home. I was tired of being out of my comfort zone. I craved the convience of home. These thoughts continued to circulate my brain and my internal attitude continued into a downward spiral as I allowed the enemy to dictate my thoughts. It was until I pulled myself out of the world and focused back on God that I remembered why I am here. God has called me here to use the gifts He has given me to bring Him glory and draw myself closer to Him. Its as simple as that. If I am too worried about what is happening at home or caught up in the next fun thing to do in Ensenada, I have missed my purpose. This week I was, and still am, thankful for God and His second chances. For His mercy and love. For His patience.

"Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." -1 John 4:11-12


Prayer Requests
-Safety for our 2 American groups this week, FPC Wickenburg and Grace Church, as they travel to RAV on Sunday.
-Our many sites throughout the week that are all over Ensenada.
-All of our ministries this week, including construction, VBS, English classes, and women's ministry
-Prayers for the summer staff as we lose a value component to our team, Kailey this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment